I decided to try modelling our two characters so we could get an idea of what size they would be side by side. I had drawn this comparison initially using Amy’s design of the T-Rex and the design I did of the secondary character which is based off of a Parasaurolophous (a herbivore that is also from the Cretaceous Era).
Below is the original models that I made of our characters, although there were a few areas where it looked rather strange, as you can see from where there is a line on the T-Rex’s leg. I’m pretty sure that it didn’t help modelling it all in one go.
This was my second attempt at the T-Rex. The eyes, nose and mouth still need to be added though.
In one of the books I read, cannot remember which one it was, but it had a nice little breakdown of what work was involved in every scene and I thought it would be useful for each person in our group to have so that everyone would know exactly what is involved in each scene.
I drew up a simplified version of the plan and shared it with the group.
The completed versions are in my folder, and I also took pictures of them and shared them with the rest of my group, so everyone had an identical plan and there would be no reason for something being missed.
I had to get pictures of Andrew’s head for reference when I come to model it. Initially I was just going to have him stand there and take the pictures but we found out he is just too tall for me to reach. So, he sat down to make it easier for me- and was still taller. However, the height difference was significally decreased so I got the photos.
Next I’ll draw on the various facial muscle groups onto the photos so it will be easier to edge loop in Maya.
After modelling an arm in class, I decided to try and model a person and found the image below online.
I’m not entirely sure how I found this image, I can’t find it again even though I used the same search words, but I’ve tried to model it.
I started with the arm since we did a version of it and when I went to extrude the hand I had accidentally selected the vertices rather than the faces, but it’s an interesting result. Matthew said it reminded him of the Iron Man suit.
I read Visual complexity and liked the radial organisation chart, and decided to try and replicate it with the data we found on crime statistics that I got from the PSNI website. (In order to get the figures for crime in the city of Belfast I had to draw out the boundary of the city on the interactive map, and then it gave me the data.)
How I made it:
The circles are all actually to scale. I used Maya, created NURB circles and scaled them up to the percentages of each individual category of criminal activity that was conducted. Then I took a screenshot and drew over the image in Illustrator.
The five coloured circles represent the different types of crime and then the smaller, fainter coloured circles, represent the specific crime committed.
Lima, M (2011). Visual complexity: mapping patterns of information. New York: Princeton Architectural Press. p1-264.