This accompanying notes that I made for this presentation topic are in my folder, in the appropriate section.
Problem of reflection:
It was caused by the light that I created to emphasise the features of the face, in response to feedback we’d received, and simply breaking the light links between the light and the background eradicated the reflection. So then it was simply a matter of rendering the scene again. (See previous post for evidence of issue).
When I rendered the scene again, the gradient was then consistent in the background, and the marble had green inside it again. So the cause of the discolouration was the point light located in the head model.
It was simply a matter of taking my time and playing about with the marble and camera to come to a pace of movement that kept the marble in sight and at a reasonable speed.
Lesson from class on lighting: https://nataliehcole.wordpress.com/2015/11/12/lighting/
With these scenes, the camera angles and speed have been tweaked several times.
Original ending: https://youtu.be/FHchZZZzKcw
The group then wanted the pipes to move as they had in a previous test I had done before going flat. (See here for video of test STICKS).
Changing pipe movement
When I went back to try and change the position of the pipes, however, I had to redo the scene. I was able to import the earlier version were the pipes did the wave movement and the pipes in my current scene were in the same position to do the movement but for some reason just kept going flat when I tried. So I deleted those pipes (120 of them) and duplicated the 40 pipes that did the required movement 3 more times. Which meant rebuilding the scene.
Thankfully, we had enough time to do that and get it rendered, but some issues came up.
Fixing Camera Movement: https://youtu.be/up0AfJqVMb8
The marble goes off-screen and it is also too fast, so I need to slow the pace of it down.
Current outcome: Shows issue with reflection
I ended up having a reflection in the background of the scene for some reason and so I changed the background to an Image Based Light with a gradient texture on top, like Alec suggested. This meant I could remove the point light that was lighting up the entire scene and it lowered render times. However, for some reason, the texture didn’t show up and it became an Alpha Channel, so I had to then take the scene into After Effects and add in a gradient background. Now, instead of the pipes being blue they are more grey.
I need to sort out this colour issue.
After class today I went down to the library to make a start on my essay. I couldn’t find any of the books on the required reading list for writing an essay, so I can only assume someone else got them out before me. That, or I just didn’t see them.
So, I found these books instead, and found them rather helpful for breaking down the process of essay writing. The notes that I made from them are in my folder.
I had hoped to do my essay on something around gender, but any books covering that were about films in general rather than focussing on animation.
Once we are finished doing our animation in Creative Strategies I will venture back down, and narrow my focus on what exactly I want to write about.
- Consider using an Image Based Light (IBL) with a texture to get reflections
- It will make the marble look less CG
- Adjust the lights to help define the facial features
- Maybe a back light/rim light etc.
- Consider a test where the pipes key frames are offset so they don’t start and end at the same time
- Overlapping animation
- Looks good
- Maybe start working on sound now
- Sound will really bring it together
- Make sure the symbolism comes across in your presentation
I just decided to pool together various screenshots that I’ve taken throughout the process. Some of them are just various poses that I’ve tried, different textures, or lighting.
Note: In the later red rendered images with the dreadful looking grey shadows, Mark told me about light linking and then I was able to remove them so that we don’t have to worry about them in our final animation.