Modelling Platforms

The platforms are where the other buildings will rest.

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 22.40.05
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 22.39.42
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 23.56.59
Sewn together
Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 00.00.33

Modelling Cables

First of all I started by modelling the cables needed for the bride, I did this by extruding a cylinder along a curve that I had drawn- then I tried to UV map it.

Amy tried to help me, but I demonstrated my amazing talent of making something simple ridiculously complicated. I did something- that I’m not exactly sure of- which caused the UV’s to shatter into triangles.

So, at this point I think I had broken Amy. I then went to Abigail and Natasha because they’re really awesome at textures. They were also initially confused by what I had managed to do, but eventually managed to get it to something resembling the net of a cylinder.

Natasha suggested using cylindrical mapping on the curved faces and then planar mapping on the two ends, so I tried that and managed to make the faces go into a squiggly line (that’s technical term). Abigail fixed it for me, but when I went to sew parts of it together, some parts twisted, and another bit was pinched together at the end and I couldn’t fix it.

Eventually, I just selected the whole object and hit automatic and then sewed it together and I think that fixed it.

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 10.59.19
EP Curve
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 11.07.57
Extruded Cylinder
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 13.18.01
Early attempt – after getting help
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 21.46.13
Automatic Mapping
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 22.13.19
Sewn together
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 22.20.52



Concept of World

This is a sketch of what we intend to model as part of our project. How we managed to come to this design is explained in my folder/sketchbook under section 5. I still need to add in the buildings onto the platforms at the end of the tentacles, but I intend to focus on them in a separate sketch.

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 21.52.22
Initial Sketch
Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 22.51.23
Current Sketch

Current Plan

Who is modelling what:



Possible Shapes for Buildings

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 22.09.31.png


Possible Layouts

These are some possible layouts that we could have for our modelling task.


  • Blue boxes represent the buildings
  • Black boxes represent the vehicles
  • Grey structure represents the bridge

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 18.17.11Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 18.18.47

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 18.19.28Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 19.26.02Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 19.27.17Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 19.28.29Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 19.29.06


Lip Synch

First attempt

I tried to get the mouth shapes for the various words that the character has to say, but then I realised that I was making more work for myself because I would then have to adjust all the key frames on the time slider for the various facial muscles to fit them in the correct time frame.

Starting Out:

Full Length:

Second attempt

This time, I added the audio into the maya scene and adjusted the time slider so that I would be focused on one word at a time, ensuring the timing was correct before moving on to the next word.


There’s already a clear improvement from the first attempts, however, it noticeably falls out of sync towards the end. I had been so focused on moving the lips that I forgot that the chin moves as well when people speak, so when I went back to add it in, it interfered with the lip movements.

The book cited below really helped to plan out and then improve my lip sync, although, when I only got it after I had initially got the rough shapes, so I used it to tweak the movements.

I’m going to start again, so there is a good foundation to build upon.


Roy, K. (2014). Facial Animation. In:  How To Cheat In Maya 2014. Oxon: Focal Press. p246-p260.