Living Quarters

So this is one of the levels inside the walls that surround the military section of our world.

There are actually three levels to the walls;

  1. Living area – sleeping and dining
  2. Armoury- weapons stored there
  3. Empty- only really used to spy out of

The living area has four rows of lockers, each row consisting of 50 lockers, totalling 200 in all.

Now, it alternates between a row of closed lockers and a row of opened ones, simply because the open one’s would be due for inspection, so it the rows would be given turns.

Then there are eight tables, each with twenty-forty places, so that they can be fed quickly and in large numbers.

The food which they consume is harvested from the agricultural part of our world.

LivingQuarters 2015-12-31 at 21.02.43Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 21.29.19

Bicycle

This is the vehicle that I decided to model for the Village to use.

The sketch for this is in my sketchbook.

It reminds me of a banana, the shape of it. The design was supposed to be ergonomic for the user of it. They lie down as they get wheeled around the village.

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 00.08.06Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 00.10.46Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 00.21.38Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 00.21.53Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 00.22.19Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 01.01.52Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 01.08.42Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 01.08.57Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 01.22.30Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 01.23.20

I initially opened the Ellie rig to ensure that the shape of the bicycle was indeed appropriate for a humanoid figure to use. The block was 0.8- the size we had decided a person would be in this world, and then I scaled the rig down.

After Ellie was the correct proportion, I got her into a reclined position, and began modelling the bike around her.

The front part of the bike was influenced by the programme American Chopper, where they manufacture motorbikes, but I liked the elongated design of the bar at the front.

The wheels themselves are designed to look like the roof tiles of the pagoda, so that it fits in with the village. The body of the bike, likens itself to the Organic building.

 

Village

Based upon the concepts Amy and I had discussed, I modelled the buildings for the village.

Screen Shot 2015-12-24 at 02.07.10Screen Shot 2015-12-24 at 02.14.14Screen Shot 2015-12-24 at 19.27.54Screen Shot 2015-12-24 at 20.20.25Screen Shot 2015-12-24 at 21.34.35

Note: The little block in the images is representative of a person in comparison.

I realised the cone building (3rd image) should have been the one to split open, but I preferred how round it was, and splitting it open would have detracted from it aesthetically. Instead I created another building that split open (4th image). I was trying to make it look as organic as possible and I really like the creases in it.

I then added the buildings to the world, I know they are floating but I have rectified that, and added the organic building.

Andrew said he would also be adding more buildings in.

Pagoda

Initial Attempt

What happened…

  • LESSON: DO NOT GO OVERBOARD
  • Initially I had simply stacked blocks on top of each other (first column, 3 down)- it was too simplistic
  • Then I went to the other extreme
  • I modelled a roof, duplicating each tile instead of instancing it, and having forgotten to delete the history
  • Then I added wooden panelling to each level (again no instancing)
  • I added doors, windows, and then lanterns between the levels, with clay securing them in place
  • The I thought two levels wasn’t enough and duplicated another two
  • Each flat part of roof had numerous hexagonal faces extruded on it
  • Under each roof, I had made poles to support it, each having a holder at the bottom which were secured to the building by 4 screws
  • Jenny suggested adding an ornament on top which I did
  • Everything was UV mapped, and came out at 51.5MB on my computer and the model had over 5,000,000 faces.
  • I managed to select the building and delete the history of the components reducing the file size to 51.4MB, but then it no longer opened after that point, so I could’t even render it

Next Attempt

So this time, every component that I had more than one of, was instanced.

I had the building UV mapped, and the ornaments added to the top.

I also decided four levels was a tad excessive and stuck to three. I modelled the sides of the roof from one cube, rather have individual tiles, to make it easier but still fit the style of the building. I left out the lanterns too, as I felt they were superfluous.

It has around 10,000 faces I think, and is only 8.5MB.