Finally finished the head model. I made a video of it revolving to show it from all angles. The only part that I’m not sure about it the ears, the top of them look a little odd but I don’t know why. I saved each time that I made significant changes to the model. Model_01 to Model_35 were my first attempt at modelling the head and then Model_36 to Model_75 were my second attempt. I also made a note of when I deleted the construction history for the model so that I knew where I could go back to, to get the last point with all the information.
Essentially, at the end of this adventure to model the ears and get them looking okay whilst attached to the head I discovered I had some strange deformation on the model when I smoothed it.
I tried deleting these strange shapes but that only seemed to exacerbate the problem.
It turns out, at some point, I duplicated the head. So there was a head inside the head and I was deleting faces off of each of them. So now I have to pick one and go with it.
It was also lovely trying to model the ear. I ended up using the tutorial by _ for the ears. It was just a little too vague on the maya autodesk one for me to follow, mainly because the ear I was using was a fair bit more complicated.
The nose wasn’t too hard. Actually it was quite straight forward.
I just like to make things difficult for myself though, and I decided to try and rename the images I was using for reference whilst in maya, leading to them becoming inactive. Nothing showed up in the files when I loaded them and you could not click the files to reinsert them.
I then had the originals on my phone so I blue toothed them over. Then I remembered that I had cropped the images so they didn’t have unnecessary background, somehow this seems to have effected the scale so the images no longer fit my model.
Hopefully it will look better when it’s fixed, although I remain unconvinced that it actually looks like Andrew, but at least his head is no longer in the shape of Dirk the Daring.
It is not yet finished; eyes, ears and nostrils need to be put in along with the shape adjust somewhat, but nearly there.
This time I decided to start with a sphere for the head, so that I didn’t make (one of) the same mistakes as last time and forget to have the head come back in. I then deleted the bottom of the sphere and extruded the edged to create the neck.
After that, I started on the face. I deleted some of the faces on the sphere and created the eyes, also flattening the forehead. I worked down, creating the mouth and nose with the create polygon tool and join up to the rest of the face. Working out from the neck to create the chin.
Once I was satisfied with the shape of the lower part of the face, I went back and deleted the top of the sphere and moved the vertices so that it followed the correct topology, then extruded the edges so that I could seal the head off. I used one of the topographical models from thundercloud.com as a guide for where my edge loops should go.
Really, aside from modelling the eyes and ears, I really just need to tweak it.
The cheeks should come out a little more and the right side of the face should go more to the left, but so far so good, I haven’t had any nasty deformations as of yet, so as long as I keep my head it should be good.
I decided to try and get my head model out of the way so that I could focus all my efforts on the animation.
Things started off okay, I had my reference images and I had my Mac working again, then I started modelling using the tutorial mentioned in a previous post.
I think this is where I made my initial mistake. I believe I used too many vertices and created a modelled too detailed to start with, rather than layering the detail. Still, I persevered, and ended up with a decent starting point with the nose, mouth and eye modelled. However, I began to wonder why the eye was black and realised that the faces were backwards- weird but okay- I fixed that.
Then I noticed that the outline that I originally created was deformed, again strange but I eventually ended up deleting it and rebuilding it. I probably should of stopped and started again, but no I went on thinking I could correct whatever was wrong.
I ignored how the model had weird bulges in its head, assured that I would simply adjust them when I sealed the head- big mistake.
It is only now after a solid 25 hours of work that I realised just why the face had little black bits on the face when I smoothed it- I thought it was the edge loops but I accidentally had it on smooth with X-Ray and discovered stacks of little triangle just waiting to be discovered to destroy any of my remaining sanity.
Over 10,000 of the little so and sos were there. I decided it wasn’t worth my eyes falling out and rolling away to sit and delete them, so I’ve started again! (Also, the fact that I forgot the neck goes in again and not just straight back didn’t help).
"Don't cry because Maya crashed. Smile because you remembered to save it." – Paraphrased Dr Seuss