This was my first attempt at using maya. This was for our first assignment of Design Discourse 1, which was to create a bouncing ball. I thought that it was a bit simple to just have a ball bounce across the platform, so I decided to try and make it a little more complex after understanding the basic commands of the software.
Found this rather helpful in giving a simple breakdown of how physical expressions can convey different emotions (thank you
Shannon O Hanlon for posting the link to it). I will definitely need to use this in the future.
It also helped me rediscover the word “akimbo” which I had forgotten that I knew and I find it to be quite amusing.
So… that’s what we tried to do. (Oh, and keep it as far away from humans/our world as possible).
I ended up doing the research about what a world actually is. I went to my dictionary from the fifties thinking that it would be closer to the etymology of the word “world” so it would give a truer definition, and I also looked up words associated with worlds, such as “planet”, “star” and “celestial”.
Then I came up with various initial ideas, which are highlighted in yellow. (The red is the individual elements that made up the plant world idea).
Courtney came up with most of the anime based ideas and curly world, Tasha and I shared the same taste in TV and games, so most of the ideas were zombie related, on the dark side, or related to games.
Greta was more into the scientific constraints of the world but came up with a doughnut, plants and something else that I can’t remember the other thing, but Siobhan loved it and created a world to two warring plant people and you can see their drawings below.
After we did that, we then started doing more developed concepts. I came up with the supernatural world, which Tasha developed further by coming up with the hierarchy of society.
There was the world on the human body, which Courtney drew the little germ that would live on it.
There was the planet that was a also a ship that went around sucking life from other worlds which Tasha developed into a pirate planet which was pretty cool.
Tasha and I then came up with several other worlds that were slightly less developed but based of things we both thought were investing like the “mutant world”, and “opposite world”. (The blue parts were Tasha’s and the green is a combination of our work).
I originally made it on Keynote but converted it to a PDF so that it can be accessed easier.
We didn’t really plan what exactly we were going to say, we all just checked that the slides contained all the necessary information and then tried to split the number of slides so that there was an equal amount per person. As we all knew what the process of creating the Cover Art had involved, we felt able to simply say from memory our thoughts and reasoning at each stage and if anyone got stuck or possibly forgot anything then we could step in to help.
Below is our initial thought processes when we were given the task of designing cover art for the “Creative Solutions” and “Creative Enterprise” modules.
The image above was the first whiteboard of ideas/thoughts we had regarding the task. (My work is coloured in yellow).
We also planned out the dimensions that we had to work within and how to try and have everyone’s contribution noticed.
To either side is the research that Siobhan did, to clarify what each module actually entailed.
We thought, that with a better understanding of the modules, we would then be able to illustrate the cover art to give a good idea to whomever was viewing the images what the module involved before viewing the content inside.
We used some word association to play around with some concepts that we could use for the cover arts.
To the right is our other board where we doodled some of our thoughts, and also wound up with a rainbow frog, with no real idea why- bu it looked friendly!
We also came up with our team name “CRANGS” using the initial of everyone’s name.
The photograph to the left shows how we broke up each task so that everyone had something to contribute, people understood what they were doing and to ensure the task was completed within the deadline.
The photograph to the right is the drawing which Siobhan did for the machine to illustrate processing, Greta did the gears and some of the machinery, Ryan drew the robot, Aidan and Courtney coloured the two images in whilst I put in the gradient and created the powerpoint.
"Don't cry because Maya crashed. Smile because you remembered to save it." – Paraphrased Dr Seuss