I took reference footage of me turning my head with a box on it, initially intending to have Malcolm turning his head rotoscoped over, but I changed my mind.
I quite like how the little test above turned out, however, I decided to simply add 3 more faces to Malcolm’s head and that way I can create a null controller to move his head. This will allow for easier adjustments to any motion that Malcolm needs to do.
That being said, this exercise is good reference for the arc motion of his head.
Kolowich,L . (2015). December 11, 2015 // 8:00 AM How to Make an Animated GIF in Photoshop [Tutorial]. Available: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-create-animated-gif-quick-tip-ht#sm.0000rxkhl1cnlcqrrr71bbv4s6yaf. Last accessed 2nd Jan 2017.
[Fred walk sketch]
I wanted to have Fred walking, hunched over, and rather flat footed so he is stamping his way.
- Started from the feet up
- Got one foot moving as I wanted then did the opposite for the other foot (make notes on values used because it is very hard to remember and tedious to keep checking)
- Check the leg movement and adjust if needed
- Adjust the degree of hip swivel
- Hunch the back and the shoulders
- Animate the movement of the shoulders
- Make the fingers curl in on themselves to look like the man has arthritis
- Get the arms to swing starting at the top, down to the wrist (adjusted last)
- Tweak any awkward movements
Feet movement (side view) : https://youtu.be/l8RxGMgJrxI
Feet movement (front view) : https://youtu.be/jRSQd5TsLII
Hips (front view) : https://youtu.be/Z8yEo0xFaww
Upper half (side view) : https://youtu.be/NhBh25mLB9U
Full body (side view) : https://youtu.be/oc7i045jies
Feet (side view) : https://youtu.be/hGHOyDzyHRc
Full Body (front view) : https://youtu.be/O42___eQuuU
Full body (perspective) : https://youtu.be/UbtYQ8oeh2Y
Shoulders (front view) : https://youtu.be/jRLFszNULN8
Full body (side view) : https://youtu.be/wWlGmrFxILI
Top half (front view) : https://youtu.be/2g6luugfrGI
Hips (front view) : https://youtu.be/NK2_DrIW3FE
Feet (front view): https://youtu.be/qO2ux2OGsXY