I just decided to pool together various screenshots that I’ve taken throughout the process. Some of them are just various poses that I’ve tried, different textures, or lighting.
Note: In the later red rendered images with the dreadful looking grey shadows, Mark told me about light linking and then I was able to remove them so that we don’t have to worry about them in our final animation.
I was speaking to my granda about our animation and about the idea of the T-Rex flying a little white flag to symbolise it’s surrender, and he thought it was pretty good. So, I went about trying to make it.
Initially I was going to use nCloth. Everything had appeared to work perfectly well, it was acting like silk and crumpling nicely with the gravity, then I tried to move it.
I still don’t know what I was doing wrong, maybe it was just a bad day to use Maya, but it would not move. Anytime that I tried to move both the flag and the flag pole, only the pole would move. I tried to find out how to fix this and it said about parenting the flag to the pole before adding cloth and then another one said about trying to parent the nucleus of the cloth to the pole, so I was confused and decided to try and find another way.
Initially I started adding joints into since we had just had the lecture on joints, then I figured that I was making this far more complicated than it needed to be. Amy then suggested using a lattice to deform it and I was about to when I clicked onto the deformers tab and saw the wave deformer tool.
I applied that to the flag and ended up with a nice wave, then I played about with the amplitude until I got an proportionate displacement for the size of flag. I then went to animate this by changing the different translate values before realising, that again, I was making this more complicated than it needed to be. So instead of doing that, I simply switched between 0.1 and -0.1 in the amplitude and keyed that at regular intervals to get a good looking movement on the flag.
Then came the fun of animating the swing of the flag. I started off with it rising up unrealistically smoothly from the ground, so then I added a little bit of a stutter I suppose to the movement, making it more clumsy and befitting of our T-Rex character. Once I was satisfied with that, I then had to do the side to side wave. The rotation of the flag pole was fine to do, but the flag itself seemed to detach and pass through the pole for some reason so I had to key the translate values once I had imported into the correct position on the landscape.
Upon Matthew’s suggestion I changed the shape of the flag as the perfect rectangular shape looked rather odd, I had tried to make it look ragged but it didn’t react realistically so I settled for making it off-white and to triangular.
Ryan took over creating the landscape when my Mac started playing up and he created this.
I said about creating the mountains for it and came up with these as the result.
I downloaded a greyscale image of a mountain range from above and increased the contrast in Photoshop before saving it as a .png in SourceImages. Then in Maya created a plane, (in surfaces) opened sculpt geometry tool, selected pull mode and then imported the map onto the plane creating a quick mountain range which i scaled up and then pulled some vertices higher.
Ryan put his landscape onto Dropbox for us to access and since our story involves stones getting thrown into a river I looked into adding water to it.
These are the settings I used on the Ocean shader, in case I forget.
I found that this video was a bit rushed when trying to show the different steps of the drawing, as it would jump ahead and not really let you see what was done. However, I did up with a version I was happy with as I was drawing along with the video.
I found this to be more helpful in explaining the different steps of the drawing, what the basic shapes where and how you build upon them.
How to draw a portrait
I could never draw portraits before watching this video and after a this I ended up with a drawing that actually resembled the Andrew and not the creature from the Goonies. I had always tried to start with a clear outline of the facial features and work from there rather than starting light and using shading to bring out the different features. These three videos were really, really helpful.