I think the asset I’m most proud of making is the Pillar Drill because amazingly it has less faces that my lamp despite being a lot more complex and I think it just highlights how much my modelling efficiency has improved by getting to work and learn alongside Team Default.
So initially my lamp model had around 20k faces.
My thinking behind this was that the team said the assets were being taken into Unity, and from my experience last year working in that program, I knew that models weren’t smooth when brought in.
Therefore, I went to Mesh > Smooth Mesh, and the result was many additional edge loops added to make the model retain it’s curved shape when unsmoothed.
I think I probably gave them a heart attack when they saw it, because they were aiming for around 1k.
James took the model and brought it down to 1350 faces, and showed me how to model more effectively. As my assets weren’t going to be interacted with, many of my faces could be deleted since the camera wouldn’t see them, e.g. the base of the lamp. James also showed me if I went to Mesh Display > Smooth Mesh, it made the model appear smooth without actually adding any extra edge loops and if you studied the edge of the model closely you could still see the hard surfaces.
As a result, I’ve been able to churn out models quite a bit faster, and not as heavy on my computer, gone are the days of the 5-million-face-Pagoda hahaha!
I made a few model vehicles to pass by in shot so that the town seems more realistic. I wanted them to be kind cartoonish in design.
Here are the models I’ve made for the various things you would see in a town.
Textured and Rendered
Evil Bench Textured
Evil Bench Ambient Occlusion
Just a little practise at Mudbox.
I think I may need to retopologise it, the front of the plane got away from me a bit, so I need to sort that.
The wings are a little too flat on the front, and you can see ridges along the body of the plane.
Aside from that, I think it’s a pretty good attempt.
I tried to keep the scene as tidy as possible.
I divided the world into four different sections.
North, East, South and West platforms, with a bridge related to each. In the centre was a group for the Castle, forts, globe and base.
Underneath the bridge group, there was the platforms; Fort, Village, Farm and the City. Each platform then had buildings grouped to it.
I would have screenshot it, but my mac is struggling to open the file at the minute.
I tried to keep my files organised whilst I went through organising the various components.