Tag Archives: Polished

Slug polished fixed

Slug 1 video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CU4jMUncg&feature=youtu.be

This video was fixed using the feedback I received. Mike said about not having most of the scene empty and having the slug and cube the main focus, so I changed the camera angle to be over the shoulder of the cube. I also (as you can see) made use of the motion trail and then forgot to turn off its’ visibility before putting it into playblast.

I found the motion trail much easier to use than the graph editor for some reason. It is a nice thing to see the path of the slug as you move it.

Hence why I have two videos.

Slug 2 video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYUvxlA_AmE&feature=youtu.be

This second video is basically the same as the first without the motion trail being a distraction.

The things that I fixed -aside from the staging and camera angles- was the slug’s initiation forward movement (I shortened it) then made the slug’s jump longer. It got rid of the floaty, fluid-like feeling as it moved through the air and I think it gives the animation a more realistic feeling.

I think it went well overall.

Advertisements

Slug Polished (trials)

So these are my attempts at creating the polished slug animation. Personally, I believe them to be better than my attempts at the blocked version.

Take 1:

The level of momentum of the slug moving forward doesn’t match the amount of effort it takes for the slug to jump. There is a good sense of anticipation when the slug raises its’ head, however, it’s still hard to understand why it suddenly leaps.

I do like how the slug sort of struggles when squashed by the cube.

Take 2:

I discovered how to add colour to the different objects so I thought it would be a good idea to colour the objects that were not interacting with the slug the same colour, and to make them passive. I then highlighted the cube in red so that it was obvious something was going to happen with the cube.

This time, I added a side to side motion on the head to make it apparent the slug was inquisitive about the object and was going to have a reaction.

Take 3:

This time, I found out how to swap camera angles and thought it would be a good idea to use the new camera angle to show the struggle of the slug when it gets trapped by the cube.

I didn’t really like the end result but it was a nice experiment.

Also, from the side camera angle there is a nice sense of anticipation when the slug crouches down to jump, I really like how it bends.

Mike also pointed out that the slug should jump a further distance and not slide forward so much at the start.

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySX7MeqV5w0&feature=youtu.be

Slug Storyboards

Attempt 1
Attempt 1

This is my first attempt at doing a storyboard for the slug assignment. Mike gave me some helpful feedback when he saw it.

He said that there weren’t enough frames to show the steps of the animation and that I had left out the anticipation that is required to indicate to the audience that something is about to happen. It was also hard to tell what was supposed to be happening in the animation as you couldn’t see the slug’s “face” at times so it was difficult to convey the emotions.

Attempt 2
Attempt 2

This was my second storyboard where I tried to rectify my previous mistakes, with some success.

Things to be addressed :

  • Staging
  • Rule of thirds
  • Volume
  • Camera angles

I hadn’t kept my slug or cube consistent in their volume, the storyboard was confusing with many camera angles that would conflict with one another (Mike said to consider the staging, that cameras should never be visible to one another but it would be touched on in class at a later point), and that I wasn’t paying head to the rule of thirds in my storyboard.

Attempt 3
Attempt 3

This was my latest attempt at storyboarding, taking all the feedback into consideration. On reflection, I may not have obeyed the rule of thirds (again) as I didn’t draw the grid on and was mostly attempting to obey the rule by eye.

I think it turned out well overall. I kept the camera angle consistent, I had the sense of anticipation and I hopefully, kept the volume of the slug consistent.

Also, I added in the line on the slug’s head (another helpful tip from Mike) to illustrate when the head or body twisted.