I think the asset I’m most proud of making is the Pillar Drill because amazingly it has less faces that my lamp despite being a lot more complex and I think it just highlights how much my modelling efficiency has improved by getting to work and learn alongside Team Default.
Creating alphas for substance
- I created an alpha in Photoshop to create the teeth on the red part of the hand drill
- Saved it as a .tif file for best quality
- Open Substance
- File > Import image > Select your Alpha
- Your new alpha should be in the brush list
Ronn, J. ( 2016). Substance Painter – Adding Custom Alpha. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OanyrA9onh8. Last accessed 24th Apr 2017.
Both James and Rachel showed me how to do this, but I didn’t write it down and subsequently forgot.
Thankfully, there was a tutorial on the subject and I only needed the first two minutes to get the answer to my question.
Adding detail with Normal Maps
- Add empty layer
- Turn off every channel except normal
- Add normal stamp of your choosing to the normal channel
- Turn off alpha (prevents softening of the edges)
- Make sure flow is at 100%
- Click away
TIP: Hold cmd and click to create a line of detail.
Courses Planet [Graphics & Animation & others]. (2017). substance painter __ Adding Details – Stamping Normal Maps. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KHHs41jzwM. Last accessed 12th Apr 2017.