This is the whiteboard of work that we came up with when trying to deconstruct our story and understanding how, or if, it conveyed what we wanted.
Mike also helped us restructure the landscape so that we didn’t have to animate the dinosaurs walking. We also got rid of the other parasaurolophus as it was literally doing nothing except taking up space.
We had decided we wanted a multiple choice game, and each choice would effect the outcome that the player would experience.
But we had no actual plan as to how it was going to work.
Since we really wanted to not have the same problem of everything being left to the last minute as we did with the title sequence.
Despite that, nothing was happening. Edward wanted to wait for everyone to be there before any decisions were made, and since it was Thursday, we had to wait for their Life Drawing class to finish.
It seemed a bit pointless for us just to just be sitting there, so I decided to walk up to my school to see if I could get any notes from my ICT teacher on Human Computer Interaction which we had studied at A-level.
I managed to walk there (a distance of 1.1 miles), saw my ICT teacher who told me their printer was broken and she would e-mail me the notes, found a penny on her floor (which I got to keep) and then went round to see my Technology teacher too.
By the time I did that, and returned back to the university- nothing had changed.
2.2 miles – roughly 41 minutes – and about an hour talking…
So I decided to try and make some sense of this game and then present the idea to the group to see if we could come to a decision.
I worked it out mathematically so that each person would have three scenes to draw.
This original plan was so that I could see how the different decisions would split up to go to different scenes and as the game progressed then the outcome would be the same despite the users choice to result in two final outcomes, rather than continuing to grow exponentially.
I thought that we could possibly just change the text in the scenes so that it explains why the outcome occurs from the decision.
Then, I started trying to plan out what decisions could lead to the various outcomes.
Below was my attempts at coming up with different scenarios.
When the others came back we started to divide up the scenes, so that each person could draw three each.
I did also have another page where Sorcha and I tried to work out the logistics of the game, (you can see the original plan on the A4 page blue tacked to the whiteboard), and how the links would work because there was a few inconsistencies and that’s in my sketchbook.
So this was some more planning, my redrawn image of the creatures standing around the drill, the image from the previous group’s powerpoint of a darksider and a concept of the disco room.
Below is the storyboard that Tasha had drawn up. It’s pretty easy to tell what’s going on; the Darksiders become curious and venture forth, the Lightsiders party unaware of the incoming creatures, and then the Darksiders spot the Light building. (There’s also a cool creature sketch).
This is Stephen’s pig, which he drew from the previous groups presentation in which they had little furry creatures resembling pigs, which we thought looked pretty awesome and wanted to use.
Some further planning of the animatic, I think this was Clare’s version of the storyboard and the images then were to be used by us as reference was it is the style of drawing that we were all going to try and use.